Thursday, February 27, 2014

One Step at a Time



I am not a domestic goddess. 

I am not a regular goddess.

I am not vegan.

I am addicted to sugar.

M&Ms, cookies, banana smoothies, Cadbury, etc. You name it, and I'll gladly run 6 or more miles to justify giving in to the craving.

The problem is, no matter how many miles I run, nothing can undo what sugar does to my blood and hormones. I have been noticing this difference over the past year as I am not a 22 year-old with a metabolism of gold anymore. My body has pretty well adapted to running, cross training, cardio dance, BOSU craziness, et al, because of my job. I could spend 5 hours in the gym or 2 hours in the gym and would never see a difference beyond dehydration. A respected co-instructor said, "Why not revisit your nutritional intake instead of burning out your body and obtaining overuse injuries?"

Thank you, Laura, for telling me what deep down I already knew. 

The past few days were dedicated to eating only smoothies so I could refocus my mind and energy. A trip to Mariano's and a visit to the recipe section of navitasnaturals.com followed, because I realized I simply cannot continue on smoothies alone. I chose this site, because Kelly Olexa of fitfluential instagramed a smoothie with this Chia Powder, and raved about the thick texture it achieves and the nutrients it packs. Naturally, I bought that and a few other odd items I'd never heard of, and researched ways to incorporate them into my new low-glycemic mindset in the kitchen.

Who knew you could bake cookies without flour, sugar, eggs, or chocolate chips??
 They didn't turn out perfectly, but they did turn out yummiliscious. Plus, the richness lent itself to a moderate serving of just two.

Do you incorporate coconut oil? Maca root? Cacao powder? What are some of your favorite ways to use them?

No comments:

Post a Comment