Thursday, February 13, 2014

A Romantic's Take on the Anti-Valentine

I have never been a huge fan of Valentine's Day.

Sure, I have memories of Valentine's Days past, when my dad gave me jewelry or when my mom taught me how to make lobster tails.

But I never have been a fan of the whole world telling me when to make a huge deal out of telling someone how much I love him. Or transversely, laying the pressure on that special someone so they go overboard making plans to impress me. I don't want just a day. I want a whole lifetime of love. 

Enter my husband. The sweetest, most lovey-dovey guy I have ever met. I love the way his face lights up when he comes home from his early morning gig and sees a yummy plate of French toast. I love the way he waits to pick me up from later classes so that I don't have to go home alone in the dark. Or the times we randomly decide to go out to a fancy dinner, dressed up so much that people ask what the special occasion might be. And the simple Sunday afternoons when we take the dog on a long stroll, and he lets me loop my arm through his. The whispered phrase "I love you" makes me feel more special than any Cupid-driven display in my past life.




One day is simply not enough to show that a relationship is special or worthwhile. Especially the day everyone else is doing the same darn thing. Save the roses and candlelight, this year we're grabbing our friends and sharing the love on another adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment