Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running a Marathon

Knowing that I need to get my first blog of the week completed by yesterday has forced me to sit down and blindly enter the realm of a racing brain ==== fingers computing words.

Speaking of racing, I am now in my third official week of training for the Chicago Marathon (another event which I also blindly stumbled into). I have always been a runner, and it's no secret that I've got a lot of energy bottled up inside my 5'3'' frame, but when conversation turns to that topic with outsiders, I get one of two reactions:

#1.) Oh you are?! That's so great - I ran in it last year and the year before. It's such a fun, rewarding experience. Where are you at in your training? What's your long run now?

or

#2.) Stephanie, you know that is 26.2 miles, right?

For Reaction #2, I usually just smile and say, "Yes, I know. But on my long run days I already do 12 miles. So what's 12 more miles...and then 2 more miles? You know?" And they will continue to chuckle at me and shake their heads while averting their eyes out the window or something.

For Reaction #1, a small conversation is then usually continued where we talk about our motivations or I ask questions about past running experience. Sometimes, an area running group is mentioned for weekend long runs, or the person will offer their number so we can buddy up and help each other reach our goals. I attribute Reaction #1 people to real baseball fans. Real baseball fans will talk the sport any time, any team, and any player. Real runners must be like that. For both, the mere mention of either words "marathon" or "baseball" conjure up nostalgic or positive feelings that make the person excited to share.

Reaction #1 people will often mention a few things that highly motivate them. We all know that this past fall, Ryan Reynolds ran the Chicago and NYC Marathons as a part of Michael J Fox's organization as well as to honor his father who was lost to Parkinson's Disease. Not only did he run for a cause, he ran because "my competition is the most formidable foe of all; ME. The person I have to beat is the guy I was last week. The person I was yesterday."

Aside from celebrities and their causes, one other blogger/runner made a very nice column noting 26.2 reasons why she ran a marathon. Among some very good reasons (and aside from vanity reasons like the people at the beach will be jealous of your toned legs), my favorites were: Learning to Love and Respect Your Body, Time to zone out and listen to music, Bond with other runners, Add structure to your life, and being able to say "You did it."

So...why am I going to run a marathon (and hopefully others to follow)?

1.) I already accumulate quite a lot of miles per week as running has already become my out from the rest of the world (and the most primal form of cardio I can get).

2.) I need a new goal to reach for.

3.) The moment I made up my mind to officially start training was the moment I made up my mind to completely overcome an eating disorder that has plagued my mental space since I was a junior in high school. Training for this marathon and knowing that I now have some other goal to reach for has helped me to add structure to my life. I'm no longer running with the sole purpose of burning calories - I'm running so that I too, will be able to say "I did it."

4.) I want a picture of me crossing a finish line.

5.) I want to make my parents, sister, and close friends proud. I want them to know that next year, on October 11 2009, their little Stephanie will be running the longest run ever. It will be a run to commemorate her first full year out of school and in a city all by herself, a run that has helped her overcome the challenges the past year brought on, and a run that celebrates her passion and commitment to not just goal setting - but life. In the words that will commemorate this past year, "Yes I can."

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck in your Chicago marathon endeavors! I ran it as my first marathon last year and it was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was #2. Oops! But I am a die-hard runner, I've got a book for you to read that I always used for inspiration. And a pair of movies. Just have to remember to get them to you.

    -C.

    ReplyDelete