Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Everyone Has A Story

In an effort to keep up with my positive outlook on life as an escape from the bleak feelings and bitching tendencies due to my broken bank, I usually pop into the Dance! class at Equinox after the class I teach. I'm the youngest person by far in that class, and to the outside world, probably seem more fit to be mowing the lawns of the people in attendance. But through the simplicity of music, movement and of course, sweat, the outside world fades away and we are all on an even playing field. Even Charlotte, who is at least 72 and dances like she's 22.

Today was extra special, as a long-time friend of our Group Fitness Manager and Recruiter was in town. Her name is Judine (Richard) Somerville, whose most recent and famed work is noted in her completion of the entire run of Hairspray on Broadway (with 4 other shows and Rockette status to boot). I am making special note of her class today, because the energy and atmosphere created in the studio was incredibly inspiring and uplifting. Judine has the ability to focus her extremely positive energy into each and every person in the studio so much that when asked to move across the floor one-by-one (something this group never does. One woman admitted that she likes "fading into the background"), they kicked their legs high and strutted to the music and cheers from the other members. That's right - cheers.

Judine reminded us that everything happens for a reason inside and outside of the studio - using the way each persons' individual expressions came out through dance. She taught the beginning of "Nicest Kids in Town" to the class - even the moment where the whole group comes together for a "photo op."
While all posed together like high school students in a play, Charlotte (who had been placed in the center) turned and said, "Where's the camera? This is beautiful." Then grabbed my hand and said, "I'm so glad you're here."

I entitled this post "Everyone Has A Story" because not only was I anxious to know Judine's, but it appeared as if somehow she had ours figured out by the end of the hour. And as we left the studio, we somehow knew each other a bit better and walked a little taller. For me, though, I found myself pondering who Charlotte really is and wondering why this 70-something who keeps up with a 20-something may become a new character in a story I've yet to write.


1 comment:

  1. thanks for the sweet words :)

    this class sounds great! i love doing dance aerobics classes, they're so motivating and fun!

    ReplyDelete