Monday, March 31, 2014

100 Miles In March

At the beginning of the month, I noticed a hashtag on Twitter supporting the idea to run 100 miles in March. Considering I was putting in around 20 recreational miles per week already, it seemed a good goal to start tracking.

Even though my job consists of helping others set and achieve goals, rarely to I set something for myself that can't be done in one day. Sure, I'll think to myself "Every morning, I will eat a balanced breakfast with egg and spinach," but I never chronicled anything. By me knowing that others set out on this goal, and that I had publicly announced my plan, I felt that much more compelled to stay on track and to squeeze in miles whenever possible.

The boundaries that I set were:

1.) None of my classes can count.
2.) None of my walks with Charlie count.
3.) Footsteps to and from the train do not count.
4.) All miles must be running or power walking at incline greater than 3.5%.

Not only did I surpass 100 miles before the 31st of the month, I kept going until I hit 115 today. Why? Because it didn't kill me. It felt fun. And I learned that next time, the bar can be set a little bit higher.

Something else I realized though, was I did much more than run this month. Looking back through my progress tweets, I noticed my happy disposition with all the challenges and adventures that took place this month.


We celebrated my nephew's birthday.


I choreographed 4 new songs to great reviews.


Charlie had to go to the vet for a bad ear infection.

We got to spend an afternoon with a friend visiting from afar.


Don't Speak added some new songs to our old set lists.

We played two very solid shows.


I made my first visit to Cleveland; happily it was with my band mates, and we got to play House of Blues.

I fell more in love with my husband, who makes me laugh.

We attended a beautiful soirée at the home of a friend, who reminded me how easy it is to just be a friend.


I was part of the opening team for CAC's newest location and rocked 6 new classes!

We attended the wedding of 2 very lovely people (I thought I would escape without crying, but then I started to say goodbye)!

The band put together even more new songs.

We got to be a big part of an all-day video shoot for Ryan Powers and the Secret Weapons.


The SUN came out!!

We hosted a dinner night of our own, and were reminded yet again of the beautiful people we have grown fortunate enough to count as friends over the past two years.




While smashing a goal has made me feel that much more excited to set and achieve a new one, I realized something I did not expect this month. There is so much more to the journey than the mile markers themselves; there are the people and the moments that take every step with you.



Editor's note: This post written from treadmill between classes ;)















No comments:

Post a Comment